RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 Altezza lights

Old 07-01-03, 02:59 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus RX300 Altezza lights

Hi,

I'm looking for some Altezza tail lights for my Lexus RX300. Does anyone know where I can find some clear Altezza tail lights for a cheaper price than what the dealer is selling them for??
Old 07-01-03, 03:03 PM
badams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best place to check is EBAY. Just check daily. I got mine off there, they are the real Lexus taillights, Ithink I paid $250 or some ridiculously low price like that.

If you want the Black Altezza type you can get them from www.procarparts.com or off EBAY also.

If you are installing these on a 1999 or 2000, you have to do a little modifying to your bulbs/sockets to make them fit. I had to, it was kind of a pain, but I got the look I was going for. The newer look!

badams
Old 07-01-03, 06:15 PM
ederny
Pole Position

If you want to get an idea of what it will take to change the harness for the outer lights, check out this discussion:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rx300h...ightupdate.htm

This proceedure shows how to do it with the lights that require a new wiring harness for the outer lights because the socket arrangement is a bit different.

Good Luuck.
Old 07-02-03, 07:53 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks ederny, for the info regarding the altezza light retrofit for the rx300. I just got a 2000 rx300 and that is one of my desired mods. I will be doing it. BTW, I tried to go to the general "How2" section of your website and I could not get there. It said I had to be a comcast "subscriber"..... Any suggestions? I would like to see your other info. Thanks, anyway.
NickV
Old 07-02-03, 10:35 PM
badams
Pole Position

I believe those step by step instructions only work if you buy the aftermarket Altezza taillights, because they come with a new wire harness. The Lexus dealer told me the 2001-2002 wire harness will not work in a 1999-2000 model. The wire harness that comes with the Aftermarket taillights is NOT a Lexus wire harness. I had to do some real modifying to make mine work, since I bought Real Lexus taillights. I wish it was as simple as replacing a harness.

If you can get the Aftermarket taillights with a harness instead of the Real Lexus taillights.

badams
Old 07-03-03, 08:35 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Nickv,

My mistake, I recently moved the site to comcast and in doing so, I missed the last letter in the URL associated with the link at the bottom of each page of the site. So this smilie is very appropriate -

I'll correct this when I get back from the 4th celebrations. You can try this URL for the home page until then:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rx300how2/index.html

badams,

Yes, you are right, my mod is for the aftermarket light set. Do you have any instructions fo the 2001-2 factory lights? That is, what wires to splice, etc. I have not had the opportunity to see a new set with factory harness.

Happy fourth of July to Everyone!

Ed.

My '99 with the update while I'm up here in the mountains over the hoilday...

Last edited by ederny; 07-03-03 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 08:58 AM
badams
Pole Position

I used my old wire harness, since the Lexus dealer said using the 2001-2002 wire harness would mess everything up. I didn't want to fry any wires and have to re-do the wiring or pay someone to re-do the wiring so I didn't want to try replacing it. Sometimes the dealers aren't always right when they say something can't be done, but I didn't want to chance it.

The brake light bulb fit fine, it was the blinker that was different. I ended up using a Master Cylinder Gasket from a Chrysler as an adapter. It looks like a big rubber grommet. Basically I had to make the new taillight hole smaller for the older blinker socket to fit into. I had to shove the socket into the rubber grommet after I shoved the rubber grommet into the taillight.

I know it sounds really MacGyver'ish, but it actually works/worked really well. Since the Master Cylinder gasket is rubber it molds itself into all the gaps and makes everything "condensation" proof. The bulbs have never wiggled themselves back out, I think it helps that the end of the bulb socket fits right up snug against the body of the vehicle.

I did have to paint my original bulbs orange, because the older 1999-2000 taillights have an orange lens with clear bulbs but the newer lights have an orange bulb and clear lens. I couldn't find anyone who made a GOOD quality orange bulb so I just painted mine with transparent, heat proof glass paint from a craft store.

I don't currently have any pics of the RX rear end, but you would never know our RX was a 1999. I have the new headlights, new taillights, new grill, the bumper protector on the top of the back bumper.

There is actually one (or more) way to tell our RX isn't a 2001-2002, I don't have the VSC emblem on the front doors (easy fix), and we still have the old dorky rear spolier. I'd have to fill in the old holes and paint to put on the new wing type 2001-2002 spolier. That is just to much money and work, at least for now. Oh yeah and all our windows say "Toyota", I guess in 2001 they started putting "Lexus" on all the glass.

If I get a chance I'll take pictures of my rubber gasket technique and post them.

If anyone has an extra aftermarket wiring harness laying around I'll buy it from them. Even though my MacGyver solution has worked fine.

badams
Old 07-03-03, 09:21 AM
ederny
Pole Position

badams,

Thanks, I recall you noted your technique once before. Thanks for the info again and perhaps I will reference your post on my RX page if you don't mind.

Ed
Old 07-03-03, 09:26 AM
badams
Pole Position

No, I don't mind at all.

I'll try to post some pictures soon. I might get a chance this weekend.

I'll take some of the front too, with the new headlights and grill. Although it just looks like any other 2001-2002 Millenium Silver RX...except mine is a 1999...like yours!

badams
Old 07-03-03, 03:48 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Hey! A big thanks to both badams and ederny for their info re the lights. Badams--do take some front pictures, I would like to see what it looks like. Thanks again!
Old 07-03-03, 05:39 PM
badams
Pole Position

Here is the front of the RX...
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-rx300-001small.jpg  
Old 07-03-03, 05:40 PM
badams
Pole Position

Here is the back of the RX...

I'll post the MacGyver'ed bulbs and sockets with the new taillights later.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-rx300-002small.jpg  
Old 07-03-03, 06:59 PM
badams
Pole Position

In case anyone is wondering, the license plate says "Photography". My old lady is a photographer. Thus the frame on the back plate.

badams
Old 07-03-03, 07:51 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Cool pixs badams! BTW, did your wife take them, or you? (I figured out the license plate; didn't need your help.

We have been talking about the rear altezza lights. What about your front ones?
NickV
Old 07-03-03, 10:35 PM
badams
Pole Position

I took the pictures myself with a crappy 1 megabyte digital camera. My wife has better equipment than that and really isn't to interested in my whole "ClubLexus" fetish.

The front headlights are the headlights off a 2001-2002 RX. The inner part is chrome rather than the black inner part. I got the headlights for $300 for both off eBay. They are aftermarket made by TYC. The quality seems the same as the Lexus ones. They are halogen by the way NOT HID. A lot of people ask that question. My wife could care less if they were HID or not, hell she doesn't even know what HID is.

Here is a way before picture, with the old grill and old headlights (even old license plate). Sorry about explaining the 4TOGRFY plate, some people stare at it, then say something that doesn't even sound like a word and ask is that what it means? Uh, no, what you just said was "Furgrfdt"

badams
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-rx300-headlights-002small.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus RX300 Altezza lights